Zoona is an African Start-up that offers Emerging Entrepreneurs an opportunity to provide money transfer and other payment services to their communities, while earning commissions and creating employment. We provide a mobile money platform, working capital financing, business management tools and entrepreneurial support focused on helping businesses grow and increasing financial inclusion in Africa.
We are looking for a high energy, and tech-savvy Financial Accountant to join our team. This is an opportunity to join a team who strives to achieve excellence through technology and awesome teamwork.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
To process to trial balance, whilst effectively managing reporting within a group environment.
• Manage fixed assets, create and maintain processes to improve control
• Reconcile intercompany loan accounts
• Calculate, prepare and submit monthly tax for multiple companies
• Understand and maintain system (specific to Zoona) interfaces with the GL
• Prepare and maintain balance sheet recons
• Process month end journals
• Assist with annual external audit
• Work with Finance Manager and Management Accountant in order address periodic queries.
• High level of curiosity.
• Comfortable and effective in a disruptive environment.
• Strong communications skills and the ability to effectively communicate between departments, different staff levels and different countries.
• High level of accountability.
• The ability to think on your feet and solve problems.
• An entrepreneurial spirit and the willingness to put in extra effort to meet deadlines.
• Flexibility and quick turnaround time.
• Attention to detail.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Qualifications and Skills:
• Degree or diploma in Accounting
• High proficiency in Microsoft Office, in particular, excel
• Proven experience with accounting software (experience with Xero will be advantageous)
• A passion for technology and using it to improve efficiency, accuracy and user experience.
• Minimum of 3 years of general ledger processing
• Can legally live and work in South Africa
• Values fit: You must live and breathe Zoona’s values of Being Real, Entrepreneurship, Integrity, Commitment, Togetherness, and Fun in both your professional and personal life.
• Multiplier leader: You must be a consistent A-player and Multiplier leader who is never satisfied with the status quo and constantly seeks to learn and improve.
• Flexible and Agile: In a rapidly growing company like Zoona, the only constant is change. Agility and an ability to fail quickly and learn are a key part of how we work.
• Confidence and belief: You must possess the highest confidence and belief in yourself, your teammates, and your direct reports.
• Performance under pressure: You must consistently meet and deliver on rising expectations and make an impact immediately.
• Passionate about your field: You must have a passion for learning and its role in creating value and driving impact to change the world.
WHO WE ARE
In Africa, high unemployment, frequent household shocks, and a lack of access to formal financial services create the need for people to rely on their extended families and communities for financial support.
Zoona exists to make a difference. We start by identifying emerging entrepreneurs and providing them with a franchise “business-in-a-box” solution to make money and serve their communities as Zoona agents and tellers. We specifically focus on girls and young women who can multiply our impact by becoming role models and accelerating the Girl Effect in their communities.
Our core service is to help people send and receive money when they need to most. By consistently delivering an exceptional experience when it truly matters, we will earn the trust of our consumers and create wealth and well-being for our agents and tellers. We will nurture these relationships and listen attentively to our customers to develop a suite of innovative financial services that solve real pain points and enhance their dignity.
This is how we will help communities thrive.
We are based in Cape Town, South Africa, with trading operations in Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique. We have attracted $22 million in international venture capital investment, have grown to 1.6 million active customers, and have processed over $1 billion in transaction value across a network of 1,500 agent outlets that employ 2,500 people.
But we are just getting started. Over the next 5-years, we will:
1. Become the leading financial services brand for 30 million monthly active consumers
2. Develop a high-performing customer-centric culture where people are unleashed to fulfil their potential
3. Establish the top-performing and most-trusted agent network in 10 countries
4. Build a highly flexible and robust FinTech platform that adapts to customer needs and industry standards